ADVICE AND ADVOCACY SERVICES
- Your local Welfare Rights
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Turn to Us
- Disability Sanctuary
- Action for ME welfare line 0845 122 8648 M, Tue, Thur 10am-12.30 and 2-4pm. Weds 2pm-4pm.
- ME Association help and advice 0844 576 5326 (10am-12, 2-4pm, 7-9pm) email@example.com
- Disability Rights UK
- Benefits and Work
- Bolton Bury ME Group and Stockport ME Group
- Fight back for Justice
RECORDING: You can have your assessment audio recorded if you have to ask in advance. You will be given a CD copy of your benefits assessment. http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2013/june/audio-recording-wca-assessments
ADVOCATE: If you don’t have a friend or relative, some charities and organisations have advocates or workers that can go to the assessment with you (if you ask in advance and they are available).
HOME: Severe patients i.e. bed bound, can request a home assessment but will probably need GP to back you up.
TYPES OF BENEFITS AND ADVICE GUIDES
- Incapacity Benefit (old fashioned disability benefit)
- ESA: Employment Support Allowance (replaced Incapacity Capacity Benefit. Soon will become Universal Credit unless you’re in the “support group” category) ME Association and Action for ME.
- Universal Credit Action for ME
- JSA: Job Seekers Allowance
- SSP: Statutory Sick Pay (when first off sick during employment)
- DLA: Disability Living Allowance (soon will be replaced by PIP) Action for ME
- PIP: Personal Independence Payment ME Association and Action for ME
- Housing Benefit/Council Tax Action for ME
- Carers Allowance and Attendance Allowance
- Blue Badge for car parking Action for ME
- Road Tax Exemption
- Working Tax Credit (over 16 hours per week), Permitted Work (under 16 hours per week) and Access to Work schemes
- Pension Credit
- Help with Health Costs, Budgeting Loans, Crisis Loans etc