Direct feedback and complaints NHS


On other pages of this website, I have mentioned given good and bad feedback or concerns indirectly through a watchdog (Healthwatch, Monitor now called NHS Improvement), a charity (Patients Association) or commissioner (CCG Clinical Commissioning Group). There will also be various public events, online surveys and open days.


Each service should allow you to give good or bad feedback on your experience.  E.g. the Friends and Family Test (i.e. would you recommend the service).  e.g. the friends and family test


You can leave feedback or complain independently.  You can also get advice or even an advocate to help you:

PATIENTS ASSOCIATION:  Helpline, 0845 608 4455


  • ICA Independent NHS Complaints Advocacy
  • ICAA Independent Care Act Advocacy
  • IMCA Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy
  • Independent NHS Complaints
  • IMHA Independent Mental Health Advocacy in Hospitals
  • Mental Health Advocacy
  • Over 60s Advocacy
  • Physical and Sensory Impairment Advocacy
  • Learning Difficulties Advocacy

Here is a list of other advocacy services



You can also make formal complaints.  However, the system is complicated, depending upon your circumstances and who you are giving feedback or complaining about.  There have been criticisms and reports on the complaints system, which is hopefully getting better e.g. The Patients Association and CQC stated that the PHSO is not ‘fit for purpose’. There are also time limits for formal complaints.  Always keep a copy of what you send and a diary.  Here is a brief overview.

FOUNDATION TRUST (HOSPITAL) COMPLAINTS (in order of hierarchy or stages):

  1. PALS Each hospital has a PALS service, which stands for Patients Advise and Liaison Service. They can simply just give you information, listen or  act as an advocate when you need it.
    You can also make either an informal or formal complaint through them.
  2. The next stage (or first stage if you don’t use PALS) is the hospitals complaints department or Chief Executive of Foundation Trust (Hospital).
  3. NHS England.
  4. Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman (PHSO).
  5. Independent Sector Complaints Adjudication Service (? Check this Karen)
  6. Care and Quality Commission (if organisation rather than an individual).
  • Children’s ME CFS service for Greater Manchester is at The Royal Children’s Hospital, CMFT.
  • Stockport and East Manchester Non-Clinical Service e.g. Physiotherapy, OT, CBT.
  • Dr Gaber Bolton, Wigan and Leigh.
  • Dr Murkherjee and Dr Sayed, Salford Royal.



The first stage is writing to the Practice Manager of the GP Surgery. Similarly, if you are unhappy you can escalate it up to a higher level through NHS England, PHSO and sometimes CQC.

Each GP surgery should also have a PPG Patient Participation Group, where you can become a member who attends meetings. These may vary